The European Bioinformatics Institute is looking for a new User Experience (UX) Designer to join the Web Development Team, based in South Cambridgeshire, UK. Apply now to start working with some of the most interesting and complex UX projects you’ll ever come across. This would be a great opportunity to diversify your portfolio of UX design, reaching into molecular biology, systems biology, genetics, drug-discovery and more.
EMBL recruits internationally and offers benefits
As part of EMBL, EBI recruits globally and offers generous benefits, including help for those moving far from home, and extra perks for those with families. Interested? Find out more about life at EMBL here, and check out this video of the campus.
Details of the post
We are seeking an enthusiastic and talented User Experience Designer to join our Web Development team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI), located on the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
You will report and make recommendations to the Web Development Team Leader and will liaise with service developers to guide the style and structure of our services. This is an exciting role giving direct contact with scientists and service developers and allowing real influence over the look and feel of extensive and widely-used services which are at the cutting-edge of life-science.
The Web Development team provides in-house expertise for core projects at the EBI, and those involving international collaborators, and the UX team-members often act as internal consultants.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Using business requirements and customer research to assist in developing use cases and high-level requirements;
- Creating user-centric designs by considering customer feedback, and evaluation findings;
- Conducting usability studies and other evaluations, and compiling detailed, structured analysis of issues and potential solutions;
- Effectively conceptualize and communicate high-level design strategies and detailed interaction behaviors;
- Working with other designers and developers on the information architecture, interaction design, and user interfaces;
- Developing conceptual diagrams, wire-frames, visual mockups and prototypes;
- Developing and maintaining detailed user interface specifications;
- Presenting design work to the user experience team, product team, and senior leadership for review and feedback;
- Contributing to the Web Development team’s shared knowledge of user experience design and research methodologies;
- Contributing to the development of metrics for measuring the impact of UX design and the value of the services you support;
- Initiating efforts to raise awareness about UX activities and share best practices with the wider UX community on campus;
- Developing a network of peers across related fields, representing EMBL-EBI at relevant conferences and events.
Being part of a team is essential. Although you will spend time influencing others, and often will work independently – for example, whilst embedded in other project teams.
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 22 member states and two associate member states and proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
Qualifications and Experience
You should ideally have:
- A degree in a relevant field or proven professional experience in UX design and web development;
- 3+ years of experience as a user experience designer, interaction designer or similar role for web applications;
- Strong conceptualization ability, strong visual communication ability and sketching abilities;
- Exceptional design skills, production value and attention to detail;
- Ability to create wireframes as well as visual design comps;
- Experience with user interface design patterns and standard UX design methodologies;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- An understanding of common software project management practices;
- An understanding of common software development practices;
As well as technical ability, you must be able to demonstrate the ability to work well with colleagues, to collaborate with external partners, and enjoy working in a stimulating and international culture. An interest or experience in science, especially life sciences, would be advantageous.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities – visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
The initial contract is for a period of three years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.